Saturday, February 23, 2008

Why I didn't want to start a blog...

This might be a long post so don't read it if it becomes too tedious. I like to try and keep posts short...
I didn't want to start a blog because I knew that I would have to learn things!! I don't want to learn things. I want things to just work and I knew that in order to make the blog work the way I wanted that I would have to do more things than I was doing at the time. For example, when I started up the blog I wanted the layout to be a bit different so I told John I wanted to change the background and asked him how. His reply, "Just go change the HTML." Oh, is that all? Of course, just change the HTML.....hmmmmmmm. So I had to learn to change HTML which I didn't really learn, I just looked for the words margin and border and then changed their values. Then I had to go start a public web album in Picasa so I could post a slideshow. I didn't really want to do that because it takes time. Also, I had to figure out what on earth was wrong with the version of quicktime I had downloaded because I couldn't get the videos to post. Therefore I had to go back and get another version of quicktime. Again, more time. The other potential problem I anticipated when starting a blog was that it would move me out of my computer comfort zone and John would take it and run. For those of you who know my husband well this will not surprise you but I am no longer allowed to use Windows on my own computer. I guess John figured that since I was now going to join the internet world outside of email and amazon I might as well jump in head first. Look for my complaints about the Windows vs. Linux battle in a future post probably titled something like "Woe is me...I am Windows free." Anyway, back to the situation that brought on this rampage. Picasa finally has a linux version. I went to download it but since the Ubuntu didn't install it exactly right the instructions to finish the install go something like this...Open a terminal and use the command sudo dpkg -i /tmp/picasa_2.2.2820-5_i386.deb. Exactly!!! I am sad to admit that I actually know what a terminal is and have opened them for John many times. I am even more sad to admit that I know what "sudo" means and the command line makes sense to me (although I could have never written it myself) And I am most sad to admit that even though I know those things there is absolutely no way I can finish this install. I will have to get John and then I will probably have to learn more about terminals and command lines!!! Argh....I guess I could just learn to live with the pictures currently in the slideshow FOREVER..........................................I'll go get John!

3 comments:

Bruce and Cindy said...

Now you know why Computer Science earns "foreign language" credit. What gobbledeguk!

Marci said...

I am sorry you lost the window vs. linux battle. Kyle has been informed if we take windows off of our computer that he won't get any more dinner. After 2 days of no dinner, I got my windows back. I'm so sorry. I know Heather wright is a linux wife, she'll sympathize with your pain. I think you should get your own computer.... Thats what we had to do.

Melissa said...

Marci...I'm happy that you have been able to hold out on linux. There is a lot pressure to give in!! Heather didn't help my cause very much because John noticed when we were over there that she had no problem with linux. I wanted a duel boot with windows but for some reason the computer didn't want to comply.