Saturday, April 26, 2008

Doctor John in the house...


John passed his dissertation defense. Yes, it is true. He finally graduated!! He said it took over 30 seconds but less than a minute for them to decide and he has no major corrections to his dissertation so he is very happy. He was a little sad when after 6+ years in the lab they still offered him the champagne first instead of the sparkling cider. I guess he felt like he didn't quite convert everyone in the lab ;) I am sure they were just being polite but it is a little funny. Now we are off to Boulder, CO where John will do his postdoctoral work. He has already accepted a position at BYU so after his postdoc we will be moving to Utah. John and I started college at BYU in 1994 and in 2010 we will have come full circle and John will finally be done with school (I finished a little early but I'm only a BS, not a doctor). What can I say...although completely unplanned we are just destined to be COUGARS. If you haven't noticed the blog is all from the BYU fight song. Anyway, even though we don't want to leave Austin, I am really looking forward to football season! We are happy and excited. John just mostly feels relief though and now he is finally allowed to play Battle for Westnoth again!

5 comments:

Marci said...

congratulations!!

Steve said...

CONGRATS!!!

jet said...

I think Brant plays Battle for Westnoth. He recommended it to me...

Melissa said...

Yes Jet...John is the one who told him about it and he has been jealous the whole year while Brant and all his friends played and John couldn't...

Melissa Miller said...

How exciting! That is great!