Wednesday, June 25, 2008

High Fructose Corn Syrup - help us all...

My first goal was to get rid of trans fats. This has been mostly accomplished (but we still have donuts and french fries sometimes). You have to be careful because even though it says zero trans fat that may be just because it has under 0.5g in which case they don't have to list it. You have to check the ingredients. At first I was shocked how much stuff had trans fats and not just crackers...it was soup and stuffing, most candy, fruit snacks, etc. A lot of things have had the trans fats removed like Oreos or reduced enough that it is now "dietary insignificant amount." Anyway, my next goal is high fructose corn syrup. This looks like it will be a little harder!! I decided to try and just get it out of the first 5 ingredients so I don't literally have to make everything. In order to facilitate this I have to start making more things like spaghetti sauce, etc. I found some good bread that doesn't have too much. Now, inspired by my cool cousin, I am trying yogurt. We go through so much yogurt that it will only take 3 weeks before we make up the difference for the cost of the yogurt maker (and that includes factoring the cost of the milk). So far it hasn't been too bad but I'll give a follow up report when my children have eaten a lot of it. Also...anyone have any good suggestions/recipes/products for stuff without high fructose corn syrup???
PS You can drink Mexican coke and Dr. Pepper because it doesn't have high fructose corn syrup...very yummy and I noticed that they have it at Costco now too!

5 comments:

merathon said...

props to you for making your own spaghetti sauce and yogurt! i was going to recommend shopping at whole foods. some of their stuff is more expensive, but that's not always the case, especially if you buy their store brand called "365." having lived in austin, i'm sure you know your way around a whole foods!

Corrine said...

they have fruit juices here made with real sugar and no corn syrup and they are so good.

The Thorley Family said...

Ironically, a lot of the store brands seem to be the best about both HFCS and trans fats - at least at HEB. I know their spaghetti sauce is HFCS free. Although these days I'm so lazy about buying it that I end up using a can of tomato sauce and tossing in a few spices - so far no one's called me on it :)

Jacki said...

I am impressed! Talk about tough! I feel like EVERYTHING has HFCS. I was watching a lecture on PBS and the dietitian correlated HFCS with obesity. He said that when we started putting HFCS in our food, was when the obesity rates went up. All moms need to follow your lead!

Melissa said...

Jacki...I'm impressed that you even have the time to use the computer...all that sleep you are missing. It makes me tired just remembering the newborn stage!!