Sunday, July 13, 2008

Yogurt Cheese

So along with making my own yogurt, I thought I would take the jump and try yogurt cheese. Yogurt cheese is very easy to make because all you do is essentially drain yogurt to make it thicker. You don't need homemade yogurt either...
Anyway, it is suppose to be a good substitute for mayo, sour cream and cream cheese. I have used it in enchiladas, cheesecake and as mayo on sandwiches and we really like it. So my next question is honey vs agave (like can I really use agave on sandwiches) and honey (agave) vs sugar in baking. I don't really know the answer yet, but maybe if Meredith or Michelle or anyone else does, that would save me the time of looking it up myself ;)
Also, have been using Amazon.com to get some good grocery deals because food is more expensive here than Austin...plus no more big, cheap bottles of Mexican vanilla. I wish I was still in Austin so Brian and Janine could bring me back some (or I could just buy it at Fiesta ;)

PS - Eldon, do I dare try and use yogurt cheese instead of cream cheese for the frosting on your pumpkins bars for when you get here...??? I know how passionate you are about the pumpkins bars. Maybe we could make them both Tues and Wed and try it different each time.

5 comments:

The Thorley Family said...

I know you can sub agave 1:1 for honey in recipes... people say it has a "cleaner" taste than honey and is more water soluble (so it's great for tea). You can do a search on 101cookbooks.com or mightyfoods.com to find recipes that use it. Both can be used to replace sugar, but you have to adjust the recipes a little - cooks.com gives good advice for this kind of thing... Let me know how it turns out!

katharine said...

Nevy cooks with agave a lot

Bruce and Cindy said...

You can get a big bottle of Mexican Vanilla while you are here.

Yancey Family said...

I think I need to know more about this yogurt making! Maybe you should post some recipes that you are using Honey and Agave in too! Where do you even get agave? You better school me.

katharine said...

do you have a yogurt maker or do it in an oven or cooler or something? do the kids eat plain yogurt, or how do you flavor it?