Monday, January 12, 2009

So it's been awhile...

I know...people keep asking me when I'm going to blog again. I guess I just didn't have my heart in it recently. First off we unplugged the kids for awhile because they were getting too crazy with their screen time (I thought of you, Patti and Scott when we did it). I was just sick of the complaining. They aren't allowed any computer/video games (video games of lego or pbskids) during the week except Wii Sports and then limited to 1 hour screen time. Needless to say that over Christmas there was much whining. Therefore, the computer was unplugged for most of the day along with the TV completely. We plugged everything back in on Sunday after family council with the understanding that any breaking of the rules would bring seriously consequences.

Also, there was a certain other young (sort of young) man who was having a hard time regulating his computer time. Although he wasn't playing video games, staying up till 2 or 3 in the morning is still not allowed by me so the computer plug strip gotten take away from him till he agreed to follow the rules. I would like to add that he broke his own rules that he wrote last night with the computer but I don't know what punishment he should receive yet :)

Anyway, there are just some crazy times in life where everything is sort of messed up (or just my mind is messed up :). November was a stressful month and so by December I didn't feel like doing anything!! So...I didn't do anything which you always think is going to make you feel better but it doesn't. I always think I am just going to do my household stuff and callings and nothing else. I think that then I won't be overwhelmed. I won't try and do anything extra like hobbies or reading or self improvement. The problem is that is never works. A person just feels less useless and blah so I am trying again to start the constant fight of getting something else done ;) We'll see how it goes...

Even though I am trying to do better, I don't think I am ready to try and catch up on the last 2 months though...I am not that happy yet ;)

9 comments:

Raspberry said...

Good for you - I mean, unplugging stuff.
ps. I hope you got my comment from Saturday night on your last post (Laughs?) since I dont' know your email address.
:)

Tyson said...

Given your location during the Holidays, I can't help but wonder whether the "certain other young (sort of young) man" was John or Brant lol...

Flying Princess said...

We have no tv or video games on school days (except for Fri after school) but we need to figure out how to limit the computer.

My little geek loves looking up stuff on youtube. I need to get a timer so we can limit that, too.

I like that your big boy even gets limits. Mine wouldn't take that so well (although I did kick the TV out of our bedroom).

As for only doing house and calling...I would die. You need time for you and your interests. Run away for a night a week (even if it is to another room or with the ipod in your ear) for a movie or a book or any kind of crafty thing you find yourself interested in. First things first- take care of you.

I hope you feel better.

Tonia said...

I think you just wrote what every other mom feels for about 90% of her life. You have a few weeks or months were things are going smoothly and then everything just gets too overwhelming and you are falling behind in everything and it all feels like catch up instead of progress. Hmmm, probably not an inspiring comment but just so you know - you aren't alone and it will get better!
p.s. we were thinking of driving up to Utah sometime in the spring and would love to try and stop in Colorado for a day and see ya!

Stephanie said...

Wow, I think that we are going through the same phase... I'll have to call you sometime soon and we can figure out our lives together... ;)

Melissa said...

Tonia!! Come see me!!

Stephanie...yes, our lives run scary parallels. I always thought Eldon and John were the most alike minus the fact that Eldon isn't quite as nerdy. Joe picked up that part of John ;)

Marci said...

i'm glad you blogged again! There is something about living in a small apartment in a winter that just brings on the blahs.... hang in there!! or come and visit me. I googled it and it would only take about 8 hours..............which is about 27000 hours when it comes to driving with kids.

Janine said...

screen time is definitely an issue for everyone! Cora has suddenly gone from doesn't care about the TV to constantly begging. I am not quite sure what to do with her myself! I hope that the winter is not too long for you. Maybe you should tell John you need to go to Spain and visit us. That would cheer me up too!

Patti said...

Yea! You blogged again. I truly need my frequent dose of Melissa. So, how does that make you feel? My happiness depends on your happiness... I'm so glad you're real. Isn't that one of the reasons I like you?! It is!

Oh, and I failed in the screen department just today. We went to spend some gift cards at 1/2 price books, and I'm trading the kids: I'll buy you this game cube game, if you will PLEASE get something to read or do here!