Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The year of the Rat

2008 was the year of the rat but for us it was really the year of the breaking. In the last year we have had to purchase a new computer (our other computer was about 9 years old so it wasn't a big surprise), a new washer (the old one was free so I can't complain), and a new camera (which I didn't want to buy because I wanted to wait till I could afford a really nice one but still got a pretty nice camera). The scanner also broke but hasn't been replaced because it was a low priority compared to the rest.

Now the TV is starting to be fussy. I hate our TV. It is so annoying and you have to use the remote to change inputs and you can't hook a DVD player into the back of it. If you misplace the remote you can't use the TV. Anyway, it has been almost "dropped" by me a dozen times. Then I remember that I would have to replace it so I don't "drop" it. I can't really say that I am sad about the TV. Now that everything is HD it makes no sense to get an analog TV again and there aren't many for sale anyway. I don't know which kind to get though. The other problem is deciding if I should get the scanner I have finally saved for and hope it is awhile before the TV completely goes or use the money towards a new TV and then save again for the scanner. What would you do? I need a scanner because I have a truckload of pictures to scan and projects to work on. On the other hand, without a TV we can't use the Bionic Eye which would be a blow to many activities.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to complain (too much) because I am very thankful that everything waited till this year to break. Last year we could not have afforded it so we have been blessed. I am just a little concerned because the only big things we have left to break are cars :) Let's hope they hold on till we can afford to replace them but they are getting close to being old enough to get a driver's license for themselves so I am not sure...

Here's looking forward to the Year of the Ox...

6 comments:

Hilary said...

Hmm... I can't live without a tV. There, I said it. I will most likely go to the telestial kingdom for that kind of admission... but I'd save my pennies for the TV. Scanners aren't that expensive though. I got an all-in-one at Costco for like 90 bucks, and I love it.

Flying Princess said...

I pick the TV. My Epson scanner/copier/printer/card reader/photo enhancer was 70 at officemax. Not a lot to have to save. Go for the TV, it is a nice distraction and you will LOVE seeing shows in high def. I didn't beleive it and didn't support my sweetie's decision to spend THAT MUCH?!?!? four years ago, but now I would not go back. And they are cheaper now.

The Thorley Family said...

At least your kids didn't pour water on your TV... it tends to force the issue. It looks like this coming year is going to be the year of the breaking for us - we've got a microwave and dishwasher on their last legs and I just got my first crown, with another on the way. Then there's the whole foundation issue to deal with. Maybe we'll just go back to school and move into student housing...

Charly said...

Good luck with that!

Janine said...

That Bionic Eye thing looks really neat. I neat to get me-- I mean Cora-- one of those!

Marci said...

we prayed all the time that things would last through school. and they all did, just until school got out. i should have prayed that things would last through school and then stagger their breakages throughout the upcoming years. hang in there. for us the post-doc was a lot harder (in many ways) then school. try to keep john happy and if that doesn't work out, then just throw yourself a much needed pitty party.