Sunday, February 22, 2009

Mistake any AOGG fan can make...


We have been very sick this week and most of us have spent it in bed. No one has been eating because it was a tummy bug so we never had to leave the bed. What do you do with a week like this? Start Anne of Green Gables of course. It is so splendidly wonderful and joyful that it makes being sick feel like a blessing. There is a problem with taking this course though...

On Friday Josh, Math and I were still so sick that we moved the laptop up to my bed and we all watched Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea all day long. We've been reading the book too. This is dangerous. We hit a perfect storm when Matthew died twice in one day. It was heart breaking and we (I) cried and cried. This mistake should be avoided at all costs! It was comforting to have all the boys around sad and crying with me though. I felt like Anne in the later books when she gathers up all her sweet children.


PS - Has anyone seen Anne of Green Gables A New Beginning? Supposedly they are going to air it here in the US this year but I am a little worried since they messed up the third one so bad and they don't have any of the original people back...

6 comments:

Raspberry said...

I couldn't stand the one where he goes to war. Same people, but the characters seemed different.
But yes, the originals, oh man are they good! I remember watching them on TV when they came out in the 80s. I was so upset they couldn't just finish it all at once.

Janine said...

So sad! I get depressed on the Matthew dies episode too. I hope you all feel better soon!

Corrine said...

sorry y'all have been sick, and love anne of green gables didn't even think to share it with greg but not sure he is as senstive and loving as your boys, but think that is so cool that the liked the movie and the books!!

Andrea said...

I have only seen the first two. What is the third called so I can watch it? Is it rentable?

Anyway, I'm impressed that your boys will sit through it with you. I wish I could get Todd's kids to do anything like that. They won't even listen to me read to them. Sad facts about the fast food generation where kids are learning not to have to make choices or actually think for themselves...

Melissa said...

Andrea...don't watch the third one. It is terrible, terrible I tell you!! It is called Anne the Continuing Story. It has all the cast back but doesn't follow the books at all. They just made it up and it was horrible. I wish they had followed the books and not combined so many of them so they could have made more movies ;(

Tonia said...

I have to agree with the third movie - sooo disappointed!! I wish they would do some side stories that are in the books. I always liked the college years and the character Paul and that lady who was older and Paul's dad...hmmm, maybe I should go back and re-read. I didn't even know they were doing a new one. Might have to look that up. We just finished reading Wind in the Willows. No one dies in that one so you would be safe ;)