Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Church...

My sister is working for the Church right now in the New Media Dept. Part of her job is tracking/recording/reporting on things like Prop 8 and Big Love. (I think that is fairly accurate Jet). Anyway, she told me this weekend that Big Love had released pictures of the temple ceremony they are going to air and it looks like it is going to be accurate at least in dress. They also had a episode at Carthage jail that was not very nice. My sister said they have former returned missionaries writing for the show. It is frustrating and sometimes it really upsets me. I read this article today and was reminded why I don't need to be upset. I feel like Joseph Smith was inspired beyond normal when he gave not only the saints in his time this reassurance but also for us who live to see even more of it fulfilled.

“The Standard of Truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame. But the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, until the purposes of God shall be accomplished and the Great Jehovah will say, ‘The work is done.'”

This is the article address...http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/the-publicity-dilemma

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I read the church news article yesterday and actually had a hard time getting through the day. I was equally frustrated. But it is encouraging to have the example of the church and its leaders to follow. If they say that we should just move on and continue to strive in the gospel, then I'll do it. If they say we should speak out, then I'll do that too.

McCulloch Family said...

Thanks for posting this!

Raspberry said...

I get frustrated when the local authorities don't do anythign about illegal stuff. Or slander/libel. Anything that should have a consequence.

Tonia said...

Dallin H. Oaks commented on why they do not comment. There were some really good things he said. I will have to dig it out and post it.

Lorie said...

I love the churches stance! And it is true. Although it is frustrating to us because of the sacred nature, there is no way that it can hurt the church. And some good can come out of it. I know that my husband has already had good conversations with coworkers who are not knew he was a member and knew that they could ask him without him being offended. I think that is what we should take from this. If we are living our lives in a way that people know they can ask us honest questions about the church without us being defensive or offended than even these trials will be used to help the church grow.