Friday, October 23, 2009

Christmas Songs

I am doing this post for 2 reasons. The first is because I am suppose to stop standing and lie down which naturally leads to more computer time :) The second is to get suggestions for fun, lesser known Christmas songs or excellent versions Christmas songs since I have time to lie and listen to them :)
I am not an expert but we do have a love of Christmas songs in the house. The boys favorites right now are Jingle Bells, Feliz Navidad, Rudolph, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Santa's Beard and Holly Jolly Christmas. Their favorite traditional song - Silent Night. My favorite Christmas songs (besides all of them) are White Christmas (only Bing), Silver Bells, Winter Wonderland, Ding Dong Merrily on High, It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas, Home For the Holidays, Christmas in Dixie, etc...I'll stop. My favorite traditional - Angels We Have Heard on High. I am always looking for fun versions of these songs. I think my favorite Christmas singer is actually Perry Como although Armstrong, Sinatra and some other have some great versions. I think my favorite versions of Silver Bells and Ding Dong Merrily on High are from Perry Como but these are the two I have the hardest time finding decent versions. We love the Time Life Christmas album but the newer releases are not near as good. Our is from the 90's and is the best one so far.
These are a few suggestions of some of my favorite "less" traditional songs.
First off...John Denver. His version of The 12 Days of Christmas with the Muppets is very famous and really is great!! His Christmas for Cowboys is also good. The Beach Boys are very popular in our house and their Christmas song Santa's Beard is wonderful!! We love it. It even makes John laugh. Little Saint Nick is also a great song in fabulous Beach Boy tradition. Yes, I am being objective with this next suggestion...U2 Christmas. This is a great, rockin song and also the best on the album A Very Special Christmas (although the Eurythmics have a pretty rockin version of Winter Wonderland, who doesn't love Annie?) And last...Harry Connick Jr. His albums are good but we love I Pray on Christmas and It Must Have Been Ol' Santa Claus (PS He has a great version of Louis Armstrong's Zat You Santa Claus)

10 comments:

Raspberry said...

I love Baby It's Cold Outside.

Heather said...

One I think is kind of fun is called something like, "A hippopotamus for Christmas.

Melinda said...

Oh, great songs!!! Figgy Pudding!!! ;)

I really really like Sufjan Steven's version of "O Holy Night". And "Winter Song" by Ingrid Michaelson and Sara Bareilles

Charly said...

I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas, All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth...both of those are fun Christmas songs. My favorite traditional one is Josh Groban singing 'Oh Holy Night'

Adrienne said...

I love Nat King Cole. I have two of his Christmas albums and he does have a few that are not as traditional. I love "I saw three ships". It sounds like I need to get some of the fun ones you mentioned too--for my kids!

Anne said...

There have been some great Christmas songs mentioned! Edd found an awesome one on i-tunes that the kids just loved last year. It's called "Gary the Green Nosed Reindeer" he's Rudolf's half-brother. Pretty funny. My favorites are Julie Andrews!!! Along with the others that are mentioned.

McCulloch Family said...

fun! I love Baby It's Cold Outside, O Holy Night and Feliz Navidad :)

Jacki said...

I always go to Pandora and click on the holiday genre to get good ideas. I can't think of any off the top of my head though sorry.

Sara said...

My favorite album last year was Relient K's Christmas album ... I'm also a fan of Celine Dion's Christmas CD - especially her version of Oh Holy Night.

Sara said...

"O" ... don't know how that "h" got in there ...