Sunday, October 18, 2009

I am so smart...SMRT...

One of the best Simpson's quotes.

Anyway, I am so smart. Want to know what I did? I vacuumed up one lego piece one time. The catch is I made sure Josh, Hy and Math saw me vacuum it up. I was getting pretty sick of legos everywhere and a seriously lack of motivation to clean them up. They seem to spread and no one wanted to clean up all the little pieces. Solution...threaten that if all the legos aren't picked up you will vacuum them up and then make good on your threat. They were "too tired" to get every lego up so I vacuumed up one tiny generic piece. The screaming, the crying, the yelling ensued...
It has been a few weeks since that afternoon and EVERY single time I have pulled out the vacuum and said clean up they race around the room picking up every thing they can find. The effect has not worn off a bit and if it does then I'll just vacuum up another piece. If they are slower than I want all I have to do it turn on the vacuum and they jump into action. I am so smart...SMRT...

8 comments:

katharine said...

You go!

Charly said...

Haha...AWESOME! I am going to have to try that!

Raspberry said...

Good job! My mom used to say if my brothers didn't clean up their rooms, she'd clean it. They never would, then she'd come get me with a big trash bag, and we'd throw all sorts of stuff away that they were sure 'wasn't' junk, and saw all sorts of stuff that was 'personal' - and then they'd kick us out so they could clean it without us invading their privacy. :)

Leezy Lindsey said...

I love it! My kind of parenting!

Sara said...

Hahahahaha! Great idea! My mom used to threaten us with throwing things out, but she never actually did. Consequently, we never cleaned. I think if she had put her money where her mouth was, we would've been better about picking up our toys . . .

Eric said...

Sometimes you have to sacrifice a few pieces of precision injection-molded plastic for the greater good. Well Done!

Jacki said...

You are SMRT! I tried that with Jordyn's baby dolls and board books but I didn't have the same outcome. Soon enough, huh?

Brian said...

I love it! Nothing like an evil plan that works... :)