Friday, December 4, 2009

Happy Birthday Sam, Happy Birthday Jet...



I am a little slow posting and still haven't gotten most of the pictures off the camera. For some reason life didn't really want to stop and give me time.

Samuel Arthur Prince was born on Dec 1st which also happens to be my sister Jet's birthday. Born exactly 28 years apart ;). He was 7 lbs 3 oz and 21 inches long. He has a lot of hair but not quite as much as his brothers and pretty much looks exactly the same. Since most of you have seen one of our newborns then you know he is just another precious carbon copy ;) That's how we like to do it. As Seth said when he saw the pictures, "Hey, that's me."

At around 2:00am I couldn't really sleep so I got up and went to the bathroom. As I got back into bed I felt a small gush. I wasn't really sure but by the time I got back to the bathroom it was very clear that my water had broken. I was tempted to wake up John but then I remembered that it probably wouldn't be wise till I was ready (explanation later). I figured I'd wait for regular contractions and a decent hour of the morning. I got all ready and drank some juice. Just before 3:00 John woke up, he has had a cold and was coughing. He saw me all dressed and packed so I couldn't really lie to him and the panic I remembered ensued. "Let's go, we have to go now." "No, I am not even having real contractions. There is plenty of time. It's not a big deal." "Yes, I am taking you now!" Etc...arguments about people we knew whose water broke at the library, zoo and a dinner party who didn't go to the hospital within 10 minutes. They are just going to make me wait at the hospital for awhile for contractions anyway...hmmm. We finally compromised on me going to the hospital (it is very close to the apartment, just a few blocks) and John getting everything cleaned up, breakfast ready and the boy's clothes and bags ready for school. Then if I still wasn't in "labor" he would wait for a decent hour to call our neighbor. Anyway, John got to the hospital just after 5:00 and we waited till past 8:00am to see what would happen. I was having some nice good contractions but they weren't consistent. I was half way dilated, baby was already at 1+ station and pretty much effaced so we added a little pitocin and an epidural. Three hours later with very little pushing, Sam arrived at 11:47am. We are very happy and other than no sleep everything is going well ;) More pictures to arrive soon ;)

22 comments:

Stephanie said...

A huge congrats! I like his name. I think Samuel and Arthur go well together. Hope you're feeling well. ;)

Reianna Cambridge said...

He is absolutely precious! I am sure all the boys are excited for one more boy to bring into the pack!

Melissa said...

Thanks Stephanie...we like it too. It covers a lot of his great-grandfathers. We let Jet have the final vote since she had to share her birthday ;)

Melinda said...

Congratulations!!!! Love the name!

Leah Prince said...

We are very proud of such a handsome grandson. Very nice name, too.

The Thorley Family said...

Hooray! I had forgotten he was coming so soon... he looks great! Congrats on getting your iron back :)

Charly said...

Congratulations!!! So fun!

McCulloch Family said...

Yay! Congratulations!! :)

Krinn said...

Congratulations!! Good luck on the sleep :)

Raspberry said...

Way to go Melissa - I'm sure you're basically relieved to have that part over with. :) Can't wait to see him and give him lots of hugs.

merathon said...

finally, right? welcome, sam, to your band of brothers!

Marisa said...

Yippee! He really is a little carbon copy! We thought what Seth was awesome :D Congratulations to you all!

Zogg said...

You made it and Sam made it too!

Stephanie said...

Yay! I am glad everything went well. Congrats!

ajoachim said...

What a "prince"! Ha ha. He's beautiful and I'm happy you and baby are well.

Janine said...

Beautiful boy! I am sure he will jump right into the fray before long! I love the name-- it is one we are considering too. :)

Jill Cochran said...

Congratulations!!

katharine said...

hooray for another prince boy :)

Marci said...

So sweet! Congrats and I hope you are feeling well...

Jacki said...

Congrats!!! 5 boys, safely here! I am just so impressed with you!

Jaz said...

Yay Melissa! Congrats!!!

Sara said...

Wow -- those Snow genes just keep reappearing. Do you think John is sad that none of the kids have his coloring?

:)