Friday, April 16, 2010

Does the universe hate or love me....

I am not sure which one it is right now. We just bought a house. This house needs a little TLC. Most of it is cosmetic but some isn't so we used our money to buy the house and to fix some windows, the garage door and sliding door. Not cheap repairs. A few days ago our van died. For real died...not a spend $500 and you are back up and running. The engine is dead. It was 12 years old and was pushing 150,000 miles so we knew it was coming but we were hoping to make it till the next kid when we would have to buy a new one anyway because it wouldn't hold our family. We didn't make. Did I mention we just used our reserves for down payments and repairs? So now we have a nice car loan on top of everything else. The strange thing is that people don't seem to hesitate to loan us money. They seem to think John makes enough for a mortgage and a car payment but it doesn't feel like that is possible. What is the universe trying to tell me? Either it hates me and my house and cars are going to fall apart or it is telling me a real job actually covers what we need. I guess we'll find out over the next few months. What is the worst they can do...come repossess the van :) I think we will remain without a dryer or TV for a long time :)
Let's hope the other car lasts. Want to know how old it is...Eric Norby gave me advice and looked it over for me. That is how old it is (14 years) and it makes lots of fun sounds too :)

PS we just got the Internet in the house finally after 2 weeks...anything good happen while I was gone?

7 comments:

MZP said...

well, we were just wondering what to do with our old tv......

Tonia said...

What van did you get? And you are having another kid?

Melissa said...

Well, we had to go with either a Honda or Toyota because they are the only ones that have the 8 passengers so we went with the Toyota Sienna because they took our old one as a trade in and we found one that still has a warranty. Also they are a little cheaper which we also needed :) Um, logically I would have only have had 3 kiddos because only crazy people have more but right now we are planning on 6 or 7 :) John says he is pretty sure there is a girl so we aren't done till a girl gets here...Yes, I full realize that makes us INSANE but I am sure you will be right there with me Tonia, it is better to be insane together :)

Raspberry said...

I'm so sorry! That's horrible. I'm glad you got a Toyota though. Those and Hondas are so well made they last longer. We have a car payment and can't wait to get rid of it... :)
Oh, and I agree - you should get a girl after having those 5 boys. I'm just going to warn you though - my aunt had to have 7 to get a girl, but at least you sound up for it.

Janine said...

Yowza. Sounds like a crazy time! I hope your girl comes soon, or you may need one of those 15 passenger vehicles. :)

Eric said...

yeah...My mom thought she'd get a girl, too. You know how that turned out. Hope the other car can hold on for a while longer. When I looked it over, I didn't realize I was helping you make such a long term commitment. At least there are some good mechanics in Provo. We got to know them well with the old grand am.

Heather said...

Good Luck with everything Melissa. You'll get by.