Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sigh...almost...

Remember my last post of beautiful spring? That was such an innocent time. I was young and carefree. The ways of the world hadn't touch my soul....
Fast forward a few weeks and today it is snowing and I barely have any feeling left at all. Why? The house! Apparently not all people are nice and reasonable. It is a long story but I will give a brief summary. The people living in the house right now are related to the current owner. She is the daughter of the wife. However, this was a second marriage. The house was in the prenuptial agreement so when the dad died it went to his children. They wanted to sell the house and get the money so they sold it to us. The people living in it have no claim other than they think they should just be given the house. So, they have done everything possible to make us break our contract. EVERYTHING they could do! My realtor almost had to call the sheriff. They have yelled and screamed and threatened and refused to let us into the house. They have claimed they aren't leaving. They have tried to make it so we couldn't close. Our realtor (my awesome uncle) had to sit in their house for 30 minutes while they yelled at him before they would even recognize that we had a right to a final walk through. This was after they didn't show up or allow us into the house for all the other appointments. (PS, of course they are Osmonds) It was bad and I am not even telling half of it. Then at closing the owner (mother of the daughter of this family - again remember that she has no real legal right to the house because it belongs to her step-children), literally while she is signing the papers she stops and says she isn't going to close because she wants the refrigerator. They have to stop the closing, mind you she is already a day late, and call my realtor. He tells her that she can take the fridge but that we will be suing her after the house is closed for illegally taking/stealing property. She decides to close without taking the fridge. Yes, my ultra mild mannered uncle was forced to say that. He was at his end!! We are at our end!!! Fortunately, the family is actually leaving the house finally and today at 5:00pm it becomes ours. Our schedule is a little off since they refused to leave but it is done. In a few years I am sure I will find it funny. The complete version is really insane. Oh, did I mention that John was gone for all of it because his grandfather died and he was in St. George for about 5 days with family for the funeral. Nice!

Summary for this last weekend...
Josh turned 10. We've been married now for 11 years
and we have a house and 5 boys...not bad, all it has cost me is my sanity.

15 comments:

Charly said...

UN-BE-LIEVABLE!!! Wow. How sad that your first home buying experience had to be so awful! I hope that in the end you are thrilled to have your new home and can quickly fill it back up with love, laughter and good times!

Stephanie said...

Wow. Does not sound fun! At some future point I'd like to hear all the juicy details. ;)

Editt said...

That gives me an ulcer just reading "half" of your story. I can't imagine what else happened to make it any worse. (I admit my morbid/curious side wants to know all the juicy details :D) Congrats on anniversaries, birthdays, and a house! I wish I still taught Josh in primary.

Melissa said...

The details are really in the converstations and the snide comments. It is true that what they yelled is way more juicy that just the fact that yelled. Basically they told us they would never leave and it was there house so we couldn't make them leave in many different ways and many different times :) Steph for sure you will probably hear the whole story. Leah knows a lot of it :)

Melissa said...

I mean "their"...I always do that :)

Tyson said...

WTH? How is it possible that all of this happened without me getting the opportunity to "talk" with the people in the house? Seriously. What good is it having a brother who is a lawyer if you don't let said brother have some fun every once in a while. For the love. I mean seriously. This is entertainment for me. This is what I live for! Don't let it happen again.

Janine said...

You're a trooper Melissa! And I have to agree with Tyson. Let him into the ring next time. Nothing like the presence of a lawyer to make people nervous. :) I hope it is smoother going from here!

merathon said...

whoa. that is some serious craziness. i'm definitely gonna need to hear the full deets sometime. all i have to say about this is you best be getting a security system, cuz who knows what these crazy people might try to do once you move in!

Marci said...

that is crazy and I'm sorry it happened to you, especially with John gone. Good luck and enjoy your fridge!

Jaz said...

Oh my. Poor you. I'm glad it finally worked out!!

Corrine said...

did they destroy the house? or was it pretty decent when you moved in? Sorry you had to do it alone, and sorry for John's granpa's passing....

i am not sure it will be funny in a few years....maybe...I still don't laught about our closing in Del Valle....

Hope to see you soon!

Emily Conkey said...

Oh my goodness, Melissa. This made my skin crawl and I know it isn't even the full story! Wow.

Anne said...

Melissa, you are an amazing person to have survived such an awful week! Buying a house, I've decided is never fun or easy...except for our 2nd house. Now that you have endured, hopefully there will be many good memories made in your house! Like when we come to visit!!! Hopefully this summer!!! :)

ajoachim said...

Tom would have said the same thing as Tyson. Lawyers really do live for that sort of thing! How time flies!

Jacki said...

I hate mean people... and mean people who also feel entitled to things could fall off the face of the Earth and burn for all I care. I know, sounds mean, but true!

Who needs to be sane anyway?