Saturday, September 18, 2010

Nerd vs. Dork continued...

So there has been a small debate previous...I am not trying to say that John deserves the nerdy award especially considering that as I am typing this Joe is on his *ham* radio trying to see if someone on top of Mt. Nebo can broadcast and reach him. He learned about this from his *ham* radio community in which Joe is considered a General :)

Alas, John is not immune.
Story 1 - Our garage code needed to be reset. John's suggestions...(I will not say the real one because publishing your garage code is never wise) but they were along the line of "Let's do the inverse of pi!" "Why don't we just do pi?" "We can't do pi, that is too obvious and everyone knows it and would guess it."

Story 2 - John is on the Chemistry dept's ultimate Frisbee team. If you don't shave then you can't play, BYU honor code applies! This morning I said he was looking pretty scruffy. He had shaved yesterday morning. He went to the game "unshaven." When he got there they stopped the undergrad in front of him and asked him how long it had been since he shaved last. He said he had shaved the morning before. They sent this undergrad home to shave before the game because he was too scruffy. John was next....they waved him through without a second look :)

Story 3 - His ultimate team has a team shirt. Don't look at the picture until you read the story!! This is how John tried to explain this shirt to me. "It is such a funny shirt. We are the deprotonators. So the shirt is a "deprotonator." (Me...ummm, okay....) No, it is really funny. So the shirt has this little guy and he has protons and then in the next view it is showing the protons coming out and then the little guy dead. Then the shirt says "The deprotonators...we'll kick the proton out of you." Me - we'll kick the proton out of you? That is is what it says? We'll kick the proton out of you? I am not sure that is funny...even to a chemist??? John - it is funny, trust me! John's description was accurate but what he failed to mention was that they weren't using the word "proton" they were using the symbol H+ for a proton. When I finally saw the shirt I realized it was funny and I asked John why he didn't just explain it saying it was a hydrogen ion instead of a proton? John - Because they are the same thing. Me - I know they are the same thing but don't you understand how it changes the humor of the shirt when you explain it without that detail of it being the symbol not the word. John - I guess...but is it really more funny knowing it is an H instead of the word proton? Me - You mean is it is more funny to say "We'll kick the H out of you. vs We'll kick the proton out of you?" John - oh, I guess that is more funny...

9 comments:

Brittany said...

I really think it's a three-way competition between John, Dallan and Joe as to who is the biggest nerd. I think you could make compelling arguments for each of them ;)

Sara said...

Hahahaha! Find me a John! :) Nerds are the best!

Editt said...

That is awesome! I'm married to a nerd too. Gotta love the nerd men. :)

Reianna Cambridge said...

Josh and I thought this post was hilarious. Thanks for sharing the nerdy-ness of your hubby!

Raspberry said...

That is a fabulous shirt and it is WAY more funny kicking the H+ out of someone than the proton...

Jaz said...

Ha! That was funny.

Tyson said...

Dorks are way cooler then nerds (yes, the phrasing is intended). Last line in my Twitter profile (@tysonsnow): "And I'm a dork."

The line about everyone knowing Pi and guessing it is classic. And it makes sense. I'm going to change our garage code to: sqrt(i)

Hilary said...

Jon has been a geek since I met him.
There, debate solved. :)

merathon said...

so the picture on the shirt still doesn't make a ton of sense to me but the conversation was hilarious! seriously, though-- who comes up with "the deprotonators"? yeah, a nerd.