Wednesday, October 13, 2010

WOW! I think I found my new pumpkin bars...

So I don't think I have ever posted a recipe to this blog (I have other blogs for that :) but these were really spectacular. I have a small pumpkin bar (and anything pumpkin) addiction that has been lovingly encouraged by certain members of the family (you know who you are :). I wanted to make pumpkin cookies because they just make me feel all autumnish and I don't tend to over eat them. Well, I tried a new recipe this time and several cookies and Tums later I am sharing it with you. It came off of allrecipes.com. I made the usual changes of applesauce and whole wheat and less sugar and they still turned out amazing. Added ginger and cloves and a little bit of baking powder (the high altitude of Provo and Boulder has wreaked havoc on my baking). The icing makes a bit too much so you can reduce it or double drizzle. Also, I know when you look at the recipe is looks like it will make tons of cookies and it does but trust me it isn't too many :)

I put my substitutions in the comments ;)

Pumpkin Cookies

Ingredients

  • 2 cups shortening
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 2 cups canned pumpkin
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 8 tablespoons milk
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar

Directions

  1. Cream shortening, white sugar and pumpkin. Add eggs and mix well. Sift together the baking soda, ground cinnamon, salt and flour. Add to pumpkin mixture and mix well.
  2. Drop from spoon to cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  3. To Make Frosting: Cook butter, milk, and brown sugar until dissolved. Cool and add confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Spread over warm cookies.

8 comments:

EGP said...

Why must you remind me of your pumpkin bars? What I would give to have some right now....

Editt said...

Hey you can't say you make your typical changes and not let me know what your amounts are. Maybe you can insert a little note here to let me know :) I'm a pumpkin enthusiast as well so I'm asking very politely.

MZP said...

agreed, you need to put in your substitutions! i am so greedy for recipes, thanks for posting!

Melissa said...

Sorry Editt...funny, someone just called me to get my "substitutes." Anyway, I usually use half applesauce, half butter/oil. I use half whole wheat and half all purpose flour. But, sometimes I use all applesauce and all whole wheat. Things just turn out a little more dense/heavy when you do that. I used about 1/4 - 1/2 C less sugar and I probably use about 1/2 tsp ginger and 1/8 - 1/4 tsp ground cloves but I really like ginger :) I just put in about 1/4 tsp baking powder because the altitude pressure causes stuff to rise to early then fall but you might not need it down there. In Texas you have to be carefully of the humidity because it can mess up the texture/moisture sometimes. I had a hard time adjusting when we moved from TX because I made a lot of stuff without measuring and from memory. It especially bad in Boulder which is 1000 ft higher than Provo.
Have you tried "Dinner in a Pumpkin?" So good!

Jaz said...

YUM!! I love all things pumpkin.

Editt said...

Thank you! I'm excited to try these out now.

Leah Prince said...

With all the fuss I am going to try these tomorrow afternoon for FHE. I cooked my small pumpkin so its ready to be used.

Flying Princess said...

OH EM GEE! SO YUMMY!!!

I just found my new favorite frosting.

Thanks!