Saturday, December 18, 2010

Shoveling night...

Well, it wasn't a "date" night but it was way more fun than most date nights. We started with visits from various family members which included Christmas presents, Wii sports, dinner, snacks, treats and excellent conversation.
The snow fun started when Joe, Brittany and Dallan (brothers and sister-in-law) decided to leave. It was snowing (and had been for awhile). Joe got out of the neighborhood just fine but Dallan couldn't get his car up the hill. There wasn't much snow but this is Dallan's first winter with a car here :) Joe ran back down and drove Dallan's car up out of the neighborhood. John and I put on our gear and decided to shovel the snow. We had a fun time but the best part was when we cleared off the trampoline. Have you ever cleared a trampoline of snow? You don't know what you are missing...the trampoline gets really slick and it is hard to get the snow off because it slides to where you are standing. We spent a long time doing flips into the snow. We also spent a lot of time falling and slipping while trying to knock each other down.
Next we decide to shovel some other driveways. We did a single sister's house and we shovelled half of the sidewalk in our loop which is a large amount of sidewalk as those who have been around our neighborhood loop know. It was way past even our late bedtime by now but it was so magical. I just couldn't go inside so I convinced John to walk with me and we walked along our neighborhood and then along some other neighborhoods. I left snow angels all around the neighborhood and we tried to think up names for our trees and eventually decided to name them French names but we'll need Math to wake up in the morning and help us as he is the only one who speaks French in the house. It was a crackling snow that made noise as it hit your coat and crunched under your feet. It was bewitching and when we walked in the door the Christmas tree is was bright and beautiful. An enchanting "shovelling" night...

PS...We were looking at shovels and I noticed that some websites spelled it shovelling and others spelled it shoveling. I think I like the single "l" better. Then I looked it up online and one site said you could spell it either way. Thoughts?

1 comment:

JFP said...

Dallan and I had quite a time trying to get out of the neighborhood. I sent Brittany ahead in my car and I drove Dallan's car. When I got stuck later on a hill, a big truck pulled up next to us to try to help us, but he lost traction and started skidding towards us. His tire caught the end of Dallan's car but luckily did not do any damage. He felt pretty bad. We never did make it up that later hill and had to go a different way.