Friday, April 29, 2011

BYU Graduation

So a lot of people have been asking for an update and I'll do one soon but I am trying to wait till I can do it with out using too many bad words...

For the meantime...I went to my first BYU graduation last week. This is a little odd considering in both John's and my family we have had 18 BYU graduations (including our own) + 2 for my parents and yet this was still the first one for me (John has had to go to graduation since he started working so he's been to a few). My dad was given a lifetime service award from the college of life science so he spoke at this graduation (and gave the best talk of the ceremony).

It was fun to hear my dad but by far the most amusing part was all the pregnant girls and all the couples graduating together. It seemed like at least 1/4 - 1/3 of the graduates were walking with their spouse. "James Smith walking with his wife Joan Smith." There was one group that had 6 relatives walking together. I just had to chuckle a little bit because BYU has to be the only college in the US that has spouses walking together in any sort of quantity! There were also two mothers who graduated with their children which was awesome. They got lots of cheers.

I wish I could say that John and I were well behaved but we talked the whole time or made funny gestures to my brother and SIL. We agreed that the Japanese really do have the coolest names. There were a lot of people named Houston and Austin so John made me promise if we have twins we can name them Houston and Austin (I am thinking middle names instead, my SIL's middle name is Austin :). And...of course, there was a young man actually named Johann which restarted the Johann Sebastian name debate.

Anyway, for those who went to BYU or probably even the U of U or USU it is a fun reminded of how crazy wonderful this place is!

No comments: