Wednesday, April 13, 2011

WOW...

So, let's just pretend that I am not about to die (that is actually less of a joke than you think)...and I haven't basically been confined to bed leaving me to watch Stewart, Colbert, Nova and old movies in large doses...

Occasionally there is something on that is different than that and if it is on the Internet then I can watch it since we don't have TV. I watched the first episode of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution tonight which I was excited about after watching last season.

I think I am like most mothers, just trying to do my best. I have tried to be reasonable and make changes when I can and should. I've blogged over the years about the ways I have been trying to rid our diet of certain elements and about the different shows/information I have come across. There are a lot of you who are much better at it than me but I think I am moving in the right direction. My kids don't eat school lunch both for cost and the reason you are about to see. In Boulder they had revamped the lunch program the year before we got there and made lots of changes that they published. I felt better about them eating there since I was able to find what they were eating. Plus the school (or maybe it was just the all the teachers my boys had) forbid any sugar treat. They allowed juice and fruit cups and things like pretzels but nothing that was directly sugar. It was nice. Here, although educationally the school may be even better (I know it is hard to believe because Whittier was an amazing school), sugar-wise it is a disaster. So even though I am well aware of the some of the nutritional problems of schools across America, even I was blown away by this demonstration...


PS - I should add that the Provo school district is trying to change it's menu and use more fresh food. One of the cooks won a national award for her initiative to get fresh food into the schools here but it hasn't completely trickled down yet. We still have strawberry and chocolate milk :) Maybe in a year or two...??

8 comments:

merathon said...

i love this show too and i really hope it helps to wake up the school systems all across America. we also NEVER buy school lunch. it truly sicks me out to even think about it. there have been a couple times where the school secretary has called to tell me that Kendall forgot her lunch and she asks if i just want her to buy the school lunch... i always say, "nope, don't worrry- i'll bring it right over!"

Marisa said...

Yeah! Love Jamie's Food Revolution. But the downside is that I get so worked up about our messed up school system and food industry. All about money, no ethics.

Raspberry said...

I am SO okay with chocolate milk. :)

Reianna Cambridge said...

Everything ok with the pregnancy? I hope so...

I loved the demo! I have not seen the show but maybe I will start watching. It is amazing how much sugar kids get.

Jet said...

I saw that episode too. The sugar disturbed me, but so did the beef filler! Yikes!

Celi said...

Dear Melissa, I also make a healthier diet, I'm a vegetarian. Here in Brazil has banned the sale to children in canteens of schools, private or public, of fat products, soft drinks, candy, chips or similar. For me this is wonderful. My son spends all day at school because I work out. And I always ask about the three meals that he does there. When I hear him talk about what he ate that day I'm happy because the menu is followed by a nutritionist and food he is eating is balanced. I am also a fan of Jamie Oliver. Kiss Celi

Editt said...

Great post! I, too, plan on sending lunch with my boys unless they perform a huge overhaul of the food program.
(On a side note: Are you ok? Maybe you should do a post on your pregnancy...)

Janine said...

About to die? I am a little concerned about that line! I think you must need more pampering! I hope you are OK, and that your little one decides to give you a break!