Friday, May 20, 2011

Every once in awhile I get those "how well do you know me" emails from friends. It is always fun to read answers and see how much you actually do and don't know about someone. Some of my favorites are about names like trying to guess their middle names or what names they would choose for themselves, etc.
I was thinking about the names we have chosen." Each one represents a compromise and very long spiritual discussions and many reasons we chose the names. Just the other night I was lying in bed thinking about Eve and wondering if her Seth brought the same joy that ours does, enough joy to make the tragedy that caused the need for Seth bearable? The scriptures hint that he did and is one of the reason I so love that name. I think of Lucy Mack and wonder what it would be like to lose my Hyrum and Samuel, on top of losing Joseph, all basically for the same event. So there are many reasons and people who have influenced our choices but hidden in the spiritual side are also a few nods to most of my "favorites" too. Perhaps you can guess them. Some are very subtle and some are exact names.
Here are the hints. The names are Joshua, Matthew and (soon to be) Beth. One of the names carries reference to two of my favorite characters (one is direct and one is less direct). Another name is also a character of a favorite author and other name is not from an author but an entirely different genre :)
I'll put the answers in the comments...

8 comments:

Melissa said...

So the easiest is probably Beth which is a reference to Allcott and perhaps the character that has had the most impact on my life Beth March and the, of course, Austen with Miss Elizabeth Bennett. The next is Joshua. Probably the most subtle but it my slight reference to U2 (The Joshua Tree :). Next is Matthew which would be Matthew Cuthbert from the lovely LM Montgomery. When I see this list I am reminded of the movie You've got mail when she says "When you read a book as a child it becomes part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your life does." :)

Melissa said...

Sorry, I had too many "L" in Alcott.

katharine said...

you have such good taste in literature (and names)!

MZP said...

funny, we have only ever picked out one girl name and every time we've been expecting it's been if it's a girl it'll be... beth. i guess we have some overlap in our taste in names, eh? but for totally different reasons :)

Zogg said...

So are you going with Beth? I have a personal liking for it since it is in my name..but am not going to use it. I don't remember if the blog mentioned a middle name for her.

Janine said...

Hey! A girl! I don't care what you name her, she will be awesome. (and have a small nightmare to deal with when she begins dating.)

Hilary said...

Hey, what happened to your puke post? Did you delete it? I read it on my reader. Anyway, I hope it gets better. It's just miserable. But, that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger, no? :)

Corrine said...

I'd like to think our little Beth has some influence on the name :)) excited for you guys!

Kim Mickelsen is coming to town the 25-28 or so and we were thinking about doing a little bbq picnic again...let us know if you guys would be up for something. corrine