Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Different is Good???

I recently talked to the hospital about maternity costs. In areas like this, it always surprises me the regional differences an area has. They gave me the average cost of a 2 day stay and delivery. It is almost half of what the cost in Austin was a few years ago. Then they went on to explain all the different ways you can save money. In fact, the advisor said that many women with no complications are able to have their baby for under $1000 if they don't stay long. Can you imagine? The average is under $5000 (not including anesthesiologist) for a regular birth and when I talked to my insurance they said it would be well under that price because they are contracted much lower. Doesn't that seem low? I know my Colorado baby was well above that even though I only paid $10 in my copay (that was excellent insurance). They don't require a pediatrician to release the baby from the hospital and they let you go when you want to. This I like about Utah. On the other hand, they also won't put fluoride in the water so.....you win some, you lose some.

I think long hair is back. At any given time there are always short hair styles and long hair styles that are popular but it seems like one is usually more "stylish" for a time. People who know fashion can disagree with me because I don't really know what I am talking about but it seems like longer hair is back as more popular. I am very thankful that the short years were popular while I was in Texas. It was way to HOT for long hair. I am very thankful long hair is popular while in UT and CO. It is way to COLD for short hair :) The longer/medium hair length comeback is also good timing as my interest in hair has been renewed because I will actually have some one's hair to do soon :)

When the boys came back from Texas they told us about everything including some fun memories seeing Gma Goodwin. As they talked I thought maybe we really should use the name Polly (Pauline) after this amazing woman. It has been our girl backup name for the last 2 babies. Then on Sun we sang some of Eliza R Snow's songs in church and I thought we should name her Eliza Snow Prince (Snow is my maiden name)...wouldn't that be cute. Then I thought we should steal other cultures' ideas and give her even more names like Eliza Rhea Snow, then she'd be Eliza R Snow for real. (Side note...there is no form of Elizabeth that I don't love...Liz, Liza, Eliza and Beth are all fabulous!!) John is not convinced so she'll continue with Beth for now (either Hazelbeth or RheaBeth - after my great gma or my gma) but we are running into a problem with Hazelbeth because everyone is IN LOVE with the name Hazel. We'd planned on calling her Beth but everyone just gushes over Hazel when I tell them Hazelbeth and call her Hazel so that may be what she gets called in the end :)
No worries, I'll try not to be disappointed if she ends up as Hazel. You can't always predict these things. My cousin was just telling me this week that the nickname for their baby "baby No" was unplanned along with my other cousin whose nickname ended up being Jo for Joel. I never thought we'd end up with Dog, Math or Sammer for nicknames and they've been so fun. People really like Math and Sammer. My sister was called Jet, my brother-in-law Goodwin and my niece "B." My sister doesn't even use her real name anymore (except at work), you have to look her up as Jet.

The third trimester has dawned and I can feel it. I expect to be really sick in 2-4 weeks from now based on my current degrading condition. I hope it is 4 weeks because that will only give me about 6-9 weeks really sick at the end but we'll see...maybe I won't get terribly sick again??? That would definitely be a welcome difference.

I am also not ready at all for baby. This is a big difference :) Usually by this time, knowing how I will be feeling, I try and prepare because I won't be able to leave the house soon :) I can tell you this, she won't come home from the hospital naked and she'll be dressed her second day at home but after that I'll have to get up and wash or she'll be naked her third day :) I won't worry too much because I do have boy things I can always pull out if needed. I can also try and pick a few things up when I do leave the house if I have energy!

Football season is about to start and that is exciting!! This year promises to be crazy. My guess is that Gilbert is going to be out we'll have a new QB for the Longhorns. It looks like BYU might actually have a decent defense this year. Is anyone going to the BYU vs. Texas game? I have decided to remain silent about the outcome of this game and try to keep my anxiety low :)

For the first time in my life I am actually hoping to go full term with a baby!! We realized that if I got a few days past my due date then everyone will have their birthday in a different month! It is hard to believe with 8 birthdays you could end up with different month for everyone! Even if you tried to plan it that would be difficult and since I didn't plan it that may not happen but at least it will be something to hold onto if they baby doesn't come early :) Also, if we go with Hazelbeth our names can be written chiastically :)

And the best difference...Autumn. I know it is still a few weeks off but I can't keep my delightful anticipation of it's arrive inside. I can't wait for my first orange leaf!

PS - This is also a long post which is somewhat different for me...

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Too bad I'm trying to do the longer hair trend in the heat of Texas... but I think you're right - longer is in. It was fun the other day when I let Sophie pick out some mousse in the store (because her hair gets CRAZY!). She takes so much pride in having her own hair products. I can imagine that boys are fun, but I can assure you that dolling up your girl is definitely something to look forward to!

katharine said...

wow, talk about good insurance - $10! i was looking at $350 in tx, but now its $1950 here (just hoping tx insurance will pay part of that). i always seem to be on the opposite side of the popular hair length. i do love the name elizabeth and hazel. we've had elizabeth on our middle-name list but so far it hasn't gone with the first names we've picked. hope you continue to feel well enough for more of your pregnancy!

Heather said...

We're planning on going to the game in September. I'm excited.

I guess I have the hair fashion trend wrong too. I'm a short hair girl through and through.

I hope you don't get too sick. Maybe it will be different since it's a girl? You can always hope.

Corrine said...

well I have something for you that if you email me your mailing address I can send it to you. Or I am also good for a party and would love to throw a shower for you!! if you don't have one planned!!!

merathon said...

patrick and i will be joining all of his family for the game in austin and we are pumped!

my hair is much longer than i'd like it right now and even though people keep telling me how great it is, i'm looking for someone to CHOP it! nothing crazy, but somewhere between shoulder and chin. i don't care if the style is long-- you gotta go with what suits YOU!

my little sister named her baby Hazel last year. i definitely think that name is gaining in popularity!

Melissa said...

I know Hazel was super popular in the 1800's but I don't know anyone who has used the name or was named that except my family members so I looked it up and I think you are right...it is making a small comeback. I think it was ranked like 300th for girls.
I don't want my hair too long either but longer than I had it in my "younger" years. You don't see as many of the short A lines or pixie cuts or short bobs like in the late 90's and early 00's :)