Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Have a very CHERRY Christmas...

It is 10 degrees so we are having hot chocolate and toast for lunch....
Baby Bep is asleep, dinner and wash is done so now I get to work on treats...

You may not know this but John has a moderate obsession with maraschino cherries. He loves everything with them in it! I have been making a few recipes for years that he loves but last week at Costco I noticed they had maraschino cherries (in bulk!!). I thought we'd do the cherry treats theme this Christmas. It has proven VERY popular in our house. I've done all my old recipes now. I have done the internet and recipe site searches and made many of those. I think I have exhausted the basic cherry bar (a shortbread/sugar cookie base with a filling on top and frosting). I usually don't have time to do any cookie that requires me to wrap a cherry in the dough (although I might try some on a Sat or Sun) so I skip those recipes mostly. Now for my request...does anyone have a recipe that they love with maraschino cherries? The easier it is the better but if it is worth the work then I am willing to try it :) Traditionally we give John chocolate covered cherries for Christmas. I have some recipes that work good but if you have one for them that you think is "john worthy" I'd love it too.

Merry Cherry Christmas!!!!

PS - Michele, when you read this...I'd love that one recipe that you always made at Christmas for gifts with the dried fruit, etc. You can stick it on your kitchen blog or send it to me :) I figured a public plea might add extra incentive to send it :)

9 comments:

Hilary said...

Hmm.... did he love those cherry chews at BYU? I've looked for a recipe for those, but they usually require some weird commercial cherry filling I can't get my hands on. Loved those things!

mkt said...

Ask and ye shall receive...
I've posted the recipe for the panforte bars as well as the recipe for some chocolate cherry cookies that someone brought to an RS meeting a few years ago - super yummy!

Andrea said...

We always use them for the basics like cherry limeades and at Christmas time we dip them in chocolate and make chocolate mice out of them. It goes great with 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.

Tonia said...

We always give Ben chocolate covered cherries! He also likes cherry sours (not sure how those are related). The only other thing we make are sundaes and Shirley Temples!

merathon said...

unlike john, i am one of those people who thinks those fluorescent cherries are vile, so i don't have any recipes for you! :)

Melissa said...

Mer...you don't love eating a little red ball of sugar :) I always think of Calvin's cereal "sugar bombs" They aren't my favorite either but John is my favorite so....

Krinn said...

I also have a chocolate covered cherry cookie recipe that is fairly easy but it looks like you have one sent to you already. Let me know if you want another one :) Chocolate covered cherries are the BEST!!

MZP said...

meredith pretty much stole what I was going to say :) enjoy your nasty cherries, haha!

Bruce and Cindy said...

I once traded a fish eye for a maraschino cherry at a dinner in Hong Kong! I know the craving! I'll send my modified recipe for Bishop's Bread which has maraschino cherries, chocolate chips, and walnuts - Dad's favorite.