Thursday, August 16, 2012

School starts in a few days and I have been thinking back on this last year. It has been a hard, crazy year. I am very glad it is over!!  Besides the tough life lessons there have been a few fun things I have accepted about myself.
So on the lighter side...

Lettuce. I used to think I really liked all types of lettuce and salad. This year (since I believed it would be eaten) we tried many different types of lettuce in the garden. I did not like them. My kids really like romaine and ice berg and are okay with a few others but I discovered that I also only really like romaine and ice berg. I can take all the other "fancy" stuff once in awhile and enjoy it but eventually even I would only eat the romaine and ice berg and just let others die or bolt :) So much for me being a gourmand...It is clear I should not be taken to expensive places regularly because they always have crazy salads. pride. flushed.

Warm Tomatoes. I think I may like tomatoes warm over coming out of the fridge. Of course, this isn't always possible but this summer I have eaten most of my tomatoes warm. When I go out to water the garden in the morning I just grab a handful of grape and cherry tomatoes right off the vine and stuff them in. I don't even wash them. Gross. But I love it, they taste so good. I did that with the broccoli too and it was very tasty.  I am pretty sure the same applied for peas this year too. I only really love them when we sit outside and just eat them straight from the plant. We had lots of fun eating straight out of the garden this year (and my mom's garden) so maybe I just like warm veggies ;)

Frosting.  I used to think I didn't like frosting. I was the girl who always scraped it off cakes. It would give me a gag reflex. Then I had children. Eventually they started wanting frosting on things :) My friend made a cake one time with the most delicious frosting (she is a trained chef) so I got that recipe. It was the only frosting I thought I could stand but I didn't make it often cause I still thought "I don't like frosting." A few years later I remembered that I always really liked the frosting my mom made for my dad's special birthday cake and I like the cream cheese frosting I made for pumpkin bars. It occurred to me that maybe there was something different about these frostings. Eventually I figured it out. They were homemade with butter. It is store frosting that I don't like. I am not trying to be a frosting snob although I know it sounds like that. Those are the facts though. Just a few weeks ago I bit into a cupcake I thought had homemade frosting on it and I basically had to hide my face to keep everyone from seeing me gag. See, it isn't my fault. Even in a blind test where I thought I was getting something different it still caused a gag :) I can stomach costco frosting but that is about it. Once I accepted this fact I have spent the last year or two discovering the lovely world of all different frostings from cooked to peanut butter to whipped cream (and especially this summer with my SIL trying to copy gourmet cupcake frosting ;) Just a few days ago my neighbor brought me some cake with frosting and I consumed in an Olympic like time (need recipe Ang). It finally sealed the deal. I love frosting ;)

Soft M&MS. When I moved to Texas suddenly every M&M I ate was soft. I hadn't really had soft M&M's. I thought I didn't really like them soft but there was nothing I could do about it except store them in the fridge and that made them too hard :) When we moved to Boulder my M&M's were not soft anymore so I was happy but then after awhile I realized I missed the warm M&M's. Now if my computer is on I'll set them next to it so they will get warm. Gross I know. Or I'll do other things (Ferris Bueller. Bus. Gummy bears :) Even MORE gross.

Showering. I don't really like it. It feels like a job. I know so many people love it. They feel refreshed or it wakes them up. Man, I just feel like I used up energy. Fortunately, I can type all these sentences without adding a "gross" because I do it plenty often but I have finally accepted it does nothing for me unless I am actually really nasty.

When we were dating, John (tactlessly) asked me if I thought I would eventually become boring to him after he knew me for long while. My only reply was that I had lived with myself for almost 2 1/2 decades and I still didn't bore myself. I added in my head (tactfully) - and please realize that I had known John for 4 years by this time - that I often got much more bored of him than I ever did myself :) And here I am again...decades later still not boring myself :) It is fun to change and grow albeit painful most of the time. I can just imagine how un-boring my mid-life crisis or menopause is going to be!!


7 comments:

Sara said...

Ha! I loved this post, especially the last paragraph! :)

And it is so obvious that we are related because I agree with half of what you wrote here. I hate, hate, hate store-bought frosting, and love warm M&Ms. They are so good! I also do not like taking a shower. Sometimes I try to relax in there, but it just doesn't happen. Showering is just a thing I have to power through each day. :/

What a fun post! :)

mkt said...

Ah Melissa... I miss you! You make me smile :) And I'm with you on the showering thing! Maybe it's part of being a mom?

Brittany said...

Yes! I agree with you on all of the items except lettuce. Warm vegetables, warm M&Ms, showering, FROSTING(!!!), but especially showering. I used to really like showering when I was single, but man, I really kind of hate it now. What a waste of time!

MZP said...

This is so random, but so funny.

katharine said...

ha! you crack me up. that reminds me of all the things I like now that I didn't used to like, i.e. cheese, ice cream, real sour cream, and BUTTER. that's what I get for marrying a wisconsin boy!
looking forward to seeing you guys on saturday

Editt said...

Loved this post! And a big AMEN to the shower thing. My husband thinks I'm crazy but now i know I'm not. :)

Janine said...

Melissa, I love your posts. I thought of you the other day when I cleaned a bathroom where we were visiting before using it. Also, you are definitely not boring. I definitely need you to make some of your favorite frosting recipes for us.