Thursday, September 6, 2012

seeing blue m&m's?

I hate blue M&M's. I agree that none of the colors are that natural but the blue ones really just...blah, I don't know. They make me cringe almost to the point where I can't eat them (almost :). I can usually give them away to my kiddos or if you are over and want to share some M&M's you'll notice that they are mostly blue :) Anyhow...it felt like there was a disproportionate amount of blue M&M's. It felt like every handful I got had way more blue M&M's than other colors (my favorite is green with my second favorite orange - coincidentally my favorite colors ;). It was really irritating me but this was just an anecdotal accusation so...I did a small study.
Over the last few weeks, every time I grabbed some M&M's I noted how many blue M&M's there were compared with the other colors. My initial findings are telling. The percentage of blue M&M's was 42%. Rather high don't you think? If it were an even and random distribution aka a flat distribution (be impressed Eldon) then the percentage of each color (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, brown) should be right around 16.7%. Right now the only conclusion I can draw is that either Mars Co is targeting me and arranging it so I buy packages that contain higher percentages of blue M&M's or Mars actually puts in way more blue M&M's than they do other colors. I feel like it is probably the first conclusion because they must know how much it bothers me to get SO many flippin blue M&M's but perhaps blue dye is just cheaper?
I hesitate to post this because it reveals a portion of my personality problems that probably shouldn't be revealed but I know there might be someone out there suffering like me. Again, this is only the preliminary result to see if this problem warrants further review and possibly a letter to the Mars Company. I will continue to see if over a longer time and larger amount the results change and if they don't I promise (it is an election year) to not rest till I have a reasonable explanation for the over use of blue!! (ps...don't think I won't, I have called grapenuts and oreo's before to ask questions)

8 comments:

Hilary said...

You are married to a chemist. :)

Melissa said...

Hmmm...I know I really wanted to blame this on John but unfortunately I have a history of running these "studies" on various aspects of my life and it started before John :)

merathon said...

oh, i just loved this post. we all have our little quirks! :)

Sara said...

Ha! This is great. :)
(I was like that about Girl Scout Cookies. I couldn't rest until I found out why they are so different from city to city . . .)

Melissa said...

yes Sara...I remember that mission. You did excellent work and now I feel much better knowing if I ever buy their cookies I am getting the better ones :)

Melinda said...

I just love you.

katharine said...

haha. you can be sure i will be paying attention now when i eat m&ms...maybe that is why i prefer reese's pieces? :)

Charly said...

HAHAHA! I LOOOVED this post!!! That is soooo absolutely something that I would do.