Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Things I do wrong, part 1 - Rockin it all night long...

Well, this is just the first part of a series that could probably go on forever. There are more to come :)
Disclaimer: I am preemptively saving the time of having to explain that I am already well aware of things I do wrong...In most cases I actually do believe I am probably wrong :)

First one...I rock my children to sleep. Always have.
With the exception of Hy who couldn't stand being rocked (he didn't even like to be held) I have always rocked the little kids to sleep. I read all the stuff that said things like don't nurse your baby to sleep and don't rock them to sleep and put them down when they are still slightly awake, etc. And...I just didn't follow any of it. I just didn't want to do it even if it was better for my little ones.
Best part is if you ask me about things like that I will tell what the books say to do. That would be my official advice. Previously, in order to get me to say that I rock my babies to sleep you would have to had make a comment like, "I hate it when books tell you not to rock your babies to sleep" or "I wish I didn't have to but I always rock my babies to sleep." Only then would I admit to such behavior or tell my true feeling about said behavior. And PS...I also rock them for naps :)

Eventually they get older and I don't get to rock them (still rocking Sam and Beps). Then our bedtime turns to more socially accepted methods like reading books and singing songs and of course the tuck in (which I still do for Math and Seth and Hy sometimes).

Obviously now that I have stated it on a public forum, I should probably just admit that I do it and take the small comments from the general public I would probably get on how I do it wrong. Clearly I am not about to change (wouldn't dream of it) so...

I guess that is just how it goes in our house :)



7 comments:

Reianna Cambridge said...

I so the same thing...it's not wrong if you find a way to make it work and both parties(mom and baby/kid) are happy. You of all people know that they eventually grow up and don't want you rocking them to sleep anymore. I say soak it in while you can.

Jaz said...

I love that you rock your babies to sleep. I nursed them to sleep. What rebels we are.

katharine said...

for grace, i had to hold her hand until she fell asleep. my arm would go totally numb! whatver works!

Ann said...

Melissa, we have always rocked little ones to sleep. Our Eric was the only one that didn't want to be rocked out of our four. Nothing wrong with rocking them to sleep and spending that extra few minutes cuddling!

Charly said...

You're a great mom! More kids should be rocked to sleep. Kudos to you! I love to have my little ones fall asleep in my arms.

Anne said...

I used to rock my kids to sleep, nurse them, hold their hand, give them goose bumps...what ever worked best for each kid! :) Such a great bonding time! :) A great time to just let time around you move on without you so you can enjoy your little ones. They grow up WAY TOO FAST!!! :)

Tonia said...

I not only rocked them, nursed them, sang to them, read to them, and tucked them but they also slept in our bed until the next baby kicked them out.