Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Summer...

Summer is gone...it was insanely busy and stressful. Google reader is also gone so I am just going to assume that I will be the only one using this blog...which is perfect for me :)

I am sure a bit of summer will trickle into more posts but I just want to jot down a few summer favorites...

Antares and Arcturus. My mind is gone so every year it seems I have to relearn the sky. This year I really enjoyed these two. I have spent other summers dwelling on other stars. I think I am finally over my 10 year love affair with Cygnus. Something about these two gems spoke to me this summer. They were brilliant as I watched them travel each night through the summer sky.


“If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown! But every night come out these envoys of beauty, and light the universe with their admonishing smile.”-Emerson

Speaking of Emerson...another part of summer I have enjoyed was re-reading Emerson and Thoreau, reading John Muir and researching Ansel Adams. I started in the spring which inspired the post alfresco. I am still working my way through all I want to read but my spirit has been renewed. I also worked through many of the films from Ken Burns (National Parks, Lewis & Clark, Dust Bowl) which I just love. Due to dedicating so much of my life to art education, this time around I focused a lot on the art done about the parks and found many wonders to inspire...

Sara and Anne (and family). Another set of gems I got to experience this summer :) These two amazing women have been a part of my life now for over 14 years (technically Sara is probably at 17 years ;). I still remember turning to Anne when I needed suggestions and advice while pregnant with my first baby or when I informed Sara in Taco Bell that John had been robbed at gun point on his mission when his family still didn't know (apparently mail from Europe gets to Utah faster than Texas) or babysitting a new born Zoey...since those times these lovely ladies have been constant friends and support. Over the years we have grown closer and I am always so happy when I get to chat with them whether it is for hours on the "nursing couch" or hours following our teenagers around, my sanity is always increased. These two also brought along my nieces Bethany and Zoey who I really enjoyed getting to know better this summer as they are all grown up :)

This year brought visits from some of my all time favorite people...Tonia D, Kristen B and the forever awesome Prices. Hanging with old friends is always wonderful. Oh how I miss my Austin family! 

Lava Hot Springs and the amazing and glorious Snow family. I hope everyone in the world is lucky enough to have relatives like mine. Some of the most thoughtful, intellectual and fun people in the world. Always an excellent party!! I love them all!!

The garden. Besides being full of tomatoes and zucchini and a dozen herbs we tried spaghetti squash, pumpkins, and blue hubbard squash with great success. It is fun to try new things...my lavendar is suffering a bit (a lot)...any thoughts?

Mountains. I am always grateful for mountains. Nothing stirs my soul quite like mountains but this year we got to spend a lot of time in the mountains. This summer also marks the first and only time I have out run John on a trail. I don't expect it to happen ever again but it felt awesome! :)

The leaves started turning this week, summer is over. As Hyrum said, "It seems like the instant we go to school summer ends." This year that is so true. The 90's  disappeared from the forecast today when they started school. And now my heart turns to the spectacular season that is autumn!

Next year I want to try and remember to do a few things I missed this year...get better with wildflowers and native trees, more canning-didn't do enough this year, even more hiking and perhaps finally get a telescope and exploit my love of the sky and for sure I want to find a t-shirt/summer shirt that I like next summer so I don't have to wear all the same clothes for 3 years in a row :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mkt said...

Enjoy that cool fall weather for us! Andrew gets to go to SLC in a couple of weeks to visit his mom and I'm jealous that he'll get to be there when everything is so pretty and nice and cool.

Jaz said...

Melissa! I thought of you a ton last week as I sat in a meadow in Maine and saw the zillions of stars I never see at home. I taught my kids all of "our" constellations, something I've been trying to do their whole life, and then we learned several more. That summer! Who knew it would still be influencing our lives 17 years later.

Hercules is still my favorite. He makes me happy. But Pegasus and Delphinus are pretty fabulous too.

Language Translation ‎ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
top ad said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.