Friday, September 20, 2013

Savory Custard

I don't normally do recipes on this blog because I have a few other places that I contribute to so...
However, I know that most of you don't use them but my fellow whovians might need this recipe!!! It is for a savory custard to use with your fish sticks...
For the last year I have just been making a sweet custard which I thought worked great...of course, I do like to dip my french fries and potato chips in ice cream/frosties...So I decided maybe I'd change it up a bit this time and go with a savory custard.
Alton Brown and a few others have posted different recipes. Some made it out of mayo but I wanted a "true" custard so this is closely related to Brown's but made with stuff I actually have in my house...

1 1/2 C 2% milk (I did a mix of 2% milk with a little cream)
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp mustard
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp pepper + 1/4 salt
dash of garlic salt
1/2 - 1 tsp dill
pepper and salt as needed

Combine milk, cornstarch, lemon juice and mustard. Whisk so there are no lumps. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Take a part of the milk mixture and add it to the beaten egg. Stir so there are no lumps. Slowly add milk and egg mixture back into the milk mixture stir constantly. Bring back to a boil or until desired thickness is reached. Add dill and salt and pepper...
Basically...just make it like you would any normal custard. It does make a lot. I think you could cut it in half and just use the egg yolk...

2 comments:

Celi Anizelli said...

dear Melissa, how tasty to divide the recipes we learned. This is very kind of you. I make artisan breads and every recipe that I do is magic. I love this art of making bread. I'll try to make your recipe and then tell you how it was. A lot of kisses for all of you.

A Beautifulmind said...

Dear Melissa...

The recipe sounds really yummy. I am yet to try this out.

I have a quick question - does Lemon juice go with milk ? doesnt milk break up when u mix lemon juice and heat?

Thanks!