Monday, October 28, 2013

Sadness in Happiness...


Last weekend we traveled to Texas to attend the funeral of my nephew Goodwin. The loss of his life was desperately sad. He was coming to a family who wanted him dearly. His crib was set up... his newborn clothes were washed and folded and put into his drawers. The grandparent's plane tickets were bought and the sister's drawings for him filled the house. The beginning of his life was quickly approaching...

But in some moment along the way his heart stopped and a precious soul that somehow didn't belong in our world returned to his home....he was beautiful...

I had so many thoughts and insights over this sweet and sad time. At some points, my brother-in-law or sister-in-law said different things that struck me so deeply I had to work hard to keep my feelings in check because I didn't want to detract from them. Among those moments was the reaffirmation that even in happiness we have deep sadness. And that is okay...we learn and grow so much in sadness while would we ever want happiness all the time? ;)

Despite this beautiful world, despite the goodness and kindness and love, despite all our blessings and the wondrous joys God has given us and despite our undying gratitude to our Father and our unwavering faith in His plan....we still have times of immense pain and sorrow. Our happiness and our sadness exist together. Happiness and sadness are intertwined throughout our journey in mortality and life's experiences can exchange one for the other in a moment. Yet...there is a peace in Christ. It is not a "happiness" nor does it remove our sadness but it carries us until our journey's end...

In French the word adieu means "to God" and so dear Goodwin we bid you to God...adieu sweet one...adieu...

7 comments:

Sara said...

:(

Sometimes I think there's a feeling that's not quite happiness and not quite sadness. It's not bittersweet, either, it's just something in between that just is. And it's a feeling that invokes higher thoughts than anything probably. I don't know if that makes much sense, but I'm grateful for that feeling. It reminds me that there is a home far away that I'm long for; it reminds me of heaven.

I'm sorry you came to Texas for such a sad event, though. I hope next time, it's for something happy!

Celi Anizelli said...

Dear Melissa, I'm so sorry about it! But I think that God has a porpouse for us when something like that happens. I invite you to read one of my little story about my time with Antonio, and my fear to dying and let him... You can translate it by google, has a bar to translate it for you in my blog! God bless all of you!

http://diariodeantonio-celi.blogspot.com/2012/07/meu-tempo-com-antonio.html

Melissa said...

Yes Sara...I know what you mean! I am sad I didn't get a chance to see you but we were in Fort Worth the entire time which was really only about 30 hours...
Celi...I look forward to reading your post. I have had to have google translate many of your posts but I always enjoy them!

Melissa Z Prince said...

thanks, melissa.

Janine said...

This is one of the most tragically beautiful pictures ever. My heart breaks for all of you. I thank you for sharing these sad, but inspiring times.

Melinda said...

I'm so sorry Melissa. My heart breaks with every loss, but especially the loss of a baby.

Pawan Kumar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.